Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Academic Societies at Harvard Medical School: Student Communities and Society Masters

Harvard Medical School class is rather large, about 140 students including both New Pathway and HST programs. It’s not as big as Boston University’s (180 students), but sizably larger than Stanford’s (80-90 students). To foster closer relationships among students and faculty our class is divided into five academic societies: Cannon, Castle, Holmes, Peabody and London (or HST). All HST students naturally end up joining the HST society. The rest of the class are randomly assigned to one of the remaining four. I’m happy to report that in a Harry Potteresque fit the sorting hat put me in Cannon together with my newly made friends!

My society is named after Dr. Walter Bradford Cannon (image borrowed from www.harvardsquarelibrary.org), a Harvard-trained physiologist. He studied swallowing in the 1920s using early X-ray technology. It does not mean that everybody in Cannon is fascinated with esophageal mysteries. Other than HST, societies are not ordered by themes or interests. The placement really is random, although admittedly siblings usually end up in the same club. All societies are roughly the same and offer no unique benefits (although it is rumored that Peapody sometimes has free breakfast?). Each society has their own House – all five open into the main atrium in the TMEC student center. Those who interview at HMS will have their lunch at the atrium and will see the societies.

The Master of my society, Dr. Gordon J Stewler, is a professor of endocrinology and studies molecular factors affecting tumor metastasis. Dr. Katharine Treadway, one of the four Associate Masters at Cannon, teaches “Introduction To Profession” – a two-week course that starts my first year at Harvard. The role of society masters is to support and supervise the students, and to help them achieve their professional goals. They act rather similar to academic advisors. I can’t wait to learn more about them!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.
    ................................
    write term paper-Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very nice and informative. it is pretty hard task but your post and experience serve and teach me how to handle and make it more simple and manageable.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Dissertation Help | Custom Dissertation

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.

    UK Dissertations Help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dissertation Help is a very useful tool so that you can easily submit your dissertation on time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. put some medical lectures for medical students or send to razishahid7866@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am an Indian doctor tell me how to get into HMS. i have 5&1/2year of experience in medical field in India.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good web site! Great Comments on this blog. And the Information is also Great. Thanks for sharing such a nice information...

    w hotel dallas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting.
    I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.


    Medical Dissertations

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving

    this for future use.
    Dissertation services

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to find this information available online. My research is dedicated to a Harvard-trained physiologist Walter Bradford Cannon, that's why I found it helpful. Maybe, academic paper writers will continue my project!

    ReplyDelete

 
Real Time Web Analytics My Zimbio
Top Stories